No industries can survive without tools. Similarly different types of tools are required in woodworking to complete the work. Each project must have a design which should be accurate for successful job. A carpenter or joiner should know properly and safely maintained his tools according to this design. Consequently he can able to doing high quality work and save both of his time and money. In addition the work will be professional and decrease the risk of accident. They may be powered or non-powered instruments. The woodworking tools can be divided into two classes like hand tools and power tools. The power tools get power from electrical, fuel or pneumatic power whereas the hand tools get power from the muscle and controlled by the hand.
Although it is period of portable power tools and which is increasing day by day but it is also need a huge amount of hand tools yet. A good carpenter and joiner will still need to skill hand so that they can able to handle and use hand tools safely and effectively. Never use a tool to do a job for which it was not designed. Many of the tools have been designed for a specific purpose. Carpentry hand tools have been used for hundreds of years and, in many cases, their basic design has changed very little. These woodworking tools can be categorized into measuring tools, marking tools, sawing tools, testing tools, boring tools, planer and cutting tools.
We powered the power tools by an electric motor, battery, a compressed air motor, or a gasoline engine. There are various types of power tools including different types of saws, drill, planes, router, electric sander, and lathe. Each of the tools is made to carry out specific functions. They are used in woodworking industries for cutting, shapping, drilling, sanding, painting, grinding, and polishing. These tools are provides more accuracy, efficiency, smoother, faster jobs than hand tools. Moreover they have required less physical effort. Therefore currently the power tools take possession of hand tools. The drawback of these woodworking tools is that they are hazardous and can hurt you if you are not maintained properly. It is your task to ensure yours own and other workers safety. They are divided into two classes; stationary or portable power tools. Normally a stationary power tools are powered by an electric motor whereas portable power tools are powered by battery or corded.
Woodworking tools safety rules
- Keep your working places clean. You can use hand brush to clean.
- All tools and equipment should be visually checked for breakage or damage before and after uses.
- You should not use tools unless you have been not trained enough and authorized to do so. Proper use of these tools will help prevent accidents.
- Always wait for moving parts (blades, drill bits, sanding discs, etc.) to come to a complete stop before removing scrap material or saw dust.
- Make sure your tools are dry and not slippery when you are using them.
- You should make sure you use a tool which is made for that purpose. For example screwdrivers are not for hammering.
- Always wear safety equipment before using any machine. Otherwise it can result in an injury or accident.
- You should not wear loose clothing, tie, and long hair while using equipment.